As many of you know, I barely go to the gym. I love working out at home and i have build a mini gym with dumbbells, kettle bells, yoga mats, balls, resistance bands etc. You might think doing cardio at home could be a challenge, because when you think of cardio, you automatically think of: Stairmasters, treadmill, elliptical machine, etc! but jumping rope can be even more effective than the use of those traditional machines. I personally love jumping rope for 3 minutes with one minute rest for 15 minutes. I have to admit I started with 1 min and 20-30 second rest and challenged myself a lil bit more and more till i was able to not only do the 3 minute sets but actually enjoy it. Cardio is more effective when is short and intense, because it burns fat not only during the workout but through the day and thats why this 15 minute workout can do more for you than 45 minutes walking on the treadmill.
More about the benefits of jumping rope:
Though for some odd reason hardly anybody uses a jump rope for aerobic exercises, I feel that jumping rope is a great way to getting a great cardiovascular exercise workout while enjoying it. In addition, jumping rope can not only help with cardiovascular health, but it also helps to improve coordination and agility. If this exercise is performed frequently, it can also help with muscular endurance. Besides, how many times have you not gone to the gym or performed a morning walk due to bad weather conditions that cannot be controlled? Jumping rope could have been a great alternative in this scenario.
Seven Great Reasons to Use a Jump Rope as a Means of Cardiovascular Exercises
- Jump ropes are inexpensive. You can purchase a good quality jump rope for about $20.
- Jump ropes are great if you travel and do not have access to a gym. You can carry a jump rope with you just about anywhere since they are so small in size.
- Not only can you use a jump rope in a gym, but you can also jump rope indoors, as long as you have enough space to perform a full motion. You can also jump rope outside and at the office on a lunch break.
- Jumping rope serves as a nice change for those who have gotten tired of performing the same cardiovascular exercises day in and day out.
- Jumping rope is a great way to burn calories. If you were to jump rope for an hour, depending on your metabolism you could burn up to 1000 calories.
- Helps to strengthen your entire body. Yes, that is right. Most of the major muscle groups in the upper and lower body will strengthen by jumping rope if performed on a consistent basis.